Daniel Stafford's Reviews > Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan

Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda

Jun 23, 10

This book moved me. Much rather, I should say, the very last chapter moved me and nearly had me expressing tears.

This is my first book of the Don Juan series of philosophy and shaman ways, but I am told it is the most accessible, which I would agree with so far: the book was very engaging, and did not seem bogged down with philosophy.

Although, I was, as I am sure many readers would be, torn as to how much of this story to believe actually happened. It is classified as a book of nonfiction, and it is written as a first person account as to what Carlos says he experienced. However…well, there's a lot of fantastic magic that takes place in front of this eye-witness.

In spite of all of that, I feel as though I picked up a lot from reading it, and I felt as though much of what I go through in my own life has only been confirmed by Don Juan's teachings to Carlos. I liked that.

But, the last chapter, the confession of knowing once you make this transformation, there's no turning back, and one is still human once conquering their "ally" and seeing the other worlds…and one cannot go back to the place they once called home in spite of taking the rest of their life to journey back. That was heartbreaking to me, and, it would seem, heartbreaking to Carlos as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to Ixtlan.