Kumiko's Reviews > Wicked: Witch & Curse

Wicked by Nancy Holder

Jun 23, 10

** spoiler alert ** Warning: The following contains spoilers but PLEASE do yourself and favor and be spoiled.

Title: Wicked
Book One And Two: Witch and Curse
Authors: Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie

Caption on the cover: "The first two novels in the captivating series..."

Summary: Holly Cather's world shatters when her parents are killed in a terrible accident. Wrenched from her home in San Francisco, she is sent to Seattle to live with her relatives, Aunt Marie-Claire and her twin cousins, Amanda and Nicole.

In her new home, Holly's sorrow and grief soon give way to bewilderment at the strange incidents going on around her. Such as how any wish she whispers to her cat seems to come true. Or the way a friend is injured after a freak attack from a vicious falcon. And there's the undeniable, magnetic attraction to a boy Holly barely knows.

Holly, Amanda and Nicole are about to be launched into a dark legacy of witches, secrets and alliances, where ancient magics yield dangerous results. The girls will assume their roles in an intergenerational feud beyond their wildest imaginations...and in doing so, will attempt to fulfill their shared destiny.

Captivating - not exactly a word I'd use for this book, let alone the series. As an objective reader the amount of novels I have actually put down and left down could be counted on one hand. Indeed I am all for toughing it through the slow, the stupid and embarrassing as long as I feel there is something to be gained by the end...

The first book (which I assumed was the middle) is 361 pages of point form plot. The characters are flat, two dimensional and completely unremarkable. But to be fair it is kinda hard to get substantial characters from: "Micheal kept smiling. "That's right, son." Gave him a wink. Left the room. Thought about killing him."

Simple, to the point - Micheal is obviously the bad guy. *yawn* So what? Without anything to link me to the characters I've become a detached, unconcerned outsider looking in on series of unfortunate events. Boring!

The plot is confusing, lapsing time in all directions without any sort of structure or flow. The sequence of events is interrupted by point of view changes every other paragraph and constant 'flashbacks' of background history. Many promising plot points were left uncompleted by the rapid jumps in time leaving many important events unresolved. Overall it felt like was reading a summary of potential brainstormed ideas hammered together rather then reading a 'captivating' novel.

- Very little detail on witches,warlocks and magic (which is what the book is about)
- Dry, uninteresting characters and practically no dialogue
- feels death is used to force along plot (someone dies every other page >.> almost)
- Weak beginning, no middle and didn't get to the end
- Unrealistic : Holly and Jer (almost) have sex without EVER (they only know OF each other) saying a single word to each other.
- Amanda walks in on Holly and Jer and poof - something happens and they all get burned and Holly hits the wall and breaks her arm.
- No explanation - things just...move on as if the last thing never happened
- Jer dies (or does he?)
- I put down the book, PISSED.
- Glared evilly at it
- Left the room
- Thought about killing it
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie that is the same effect i had

Lura (The Life of Serendipity) Hi I've had this book for awhile and I've had a really hate time in reading it... I can't get past the first 3 chapters. Should I read this book, or is it not worth it?

Kumiko Lura wrote: "Hi I've had this book for awhile and I've had a really hate time in reading it... I can't get past the first 3 chapters. Should I read this book, or is it not worth it?"

It depends, there are plenty of people who enjoyed this book. I was not one of them. lol But if you're having a hard time 'getting into it' then maybe you should put it down for a little while and come back later to see if that helps? Life's too short to read books you don't enjoy!

Lura (The Life of Serendipity) Yeah that's true- but what if I told you I've had this book for say...2 years and I haven't gotten past the first 3 chapters.

Kumiko If your not into collecting books, drop it off at a coffee shop or used book store and forget about it. :D

Lura wrote: "Yeah that's true- but what if I told you I've had this book for say...2 years and I haven't gotten past the first 3 chapters."

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I dumped mine in the dumpster.......

Lura (The Life of Serendipity) Melanie wrote: "I dumped mine in the dumpster......."

Lol you did? Why?

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cuz i hated it, DUHHHHHHH
The book was depressng and very.............. stupid i guess

message 1: by Zumiko (new)

Zumiko MY NAME IS YOUR NAME WITHOUT THE K!!!!!(sorry had to say it I got excited)