Maria (Ri)'s Reviews > Mrs. Kimble

Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: general-fiction, read-in-2008, registered-by-another-bookcrosser, swapped
Read in January, 2008

I've had this book for quite a while, but finally found the right time to read it! I really enjoyed this story of a man who touches (and not usually in a very good way) so many lives. He can turn on the charm initially and draw women in only to leave them empty and wondering what went wrong. I particularly enjoyed the journey each woman took to reflect on the relationship with Ken and see the progression that they didn't realize was happening at the time. It raises questions about the importance of how the other person makes you feel both in the short and long term. Ken really seemed to be quite immature, only really able to connect with much younger women. I was intrigued by the character of Brendan the most, though he was only in the very end of the book. He seemed to embody the way we are shaped by our home environment and the potential we all have to rise out of our circumstances.

I'm glad I finally got around to reading this one. It raises so many questions in my mind about relationships and what draws us to others. This is truly great book, especially given that it is the author's first novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Kimble.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patrick Do you really think Ken is immature or is he just entirely self-absorbed by nature?

Maria (Ri) Patrick wrote: "Do you really think Ken is immature or is he just entirely self-absorbed by nature?"

Both! I don't think it is an either/or situation.

Patrick I think immaturity means it is just a phase that he is going through whereas if he is self-absorbed that is part of who he is as a person and thus not just a phase. Just a thought.