Melanie's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Jun 19, 11

Read from June 16 to 18, 2011

As I commented about his book on my status I thought I would add a small review on it and summarise what I thought.

I have read everyone one of Kelley's books. I haven't loved all of them, but I have enjoyed them for what they are. The Summoning series was a branch into the YA selection and I thought it worked. I enjoyed the characters, the plot twists and felt it was great that finally younger readers could enjoy such a talented author.

The Gathering I believe it also aimed at the YA audience, if its not I don't see what it isn't as its hardly graphic and the content isn't offensive or sexual.

The story was meh. Sorry but it was so long winded and drawn out, having worked out about 50 pages in what was happening etc it was then made harrowing reading the remainder. The characters was ok, nothing more and I didn't feel akin to any of them really which is surprising as there's always someone I can relate too in a book.

It was about 100 pages too long, everything was either over dramatised or so descriptive I didn't just feel like I was there I felt like I was proof reading and should be cutting it down.

I'm sorry but I just didn't enjoy this book at all. I will read the others in the collection only because I am such a huge Kelley Armstrong fan and I think it's great how other organisations etc are being bought into the storyline and you can see how its tying together. But I won't be pre-ordering or anything else like I normally would.

Sorry but this book only gets a 2 star from me and in that I'm being generous. If I didn't know it was going to be a collection and there would be a sequel I doubt I'd have finished it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

06/16/2011

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra is The Gathering any good???? thanks

Linda Jackson it is! have u read the summoning series by same person? also good

Melanie I honestly didn't like it. Maybe as this collection by Kelley Armstrong is aimed at YA and it wasn't graphic enough - I don't know. I felt it was dragged out, long winded, too much information, not enough action and went on about 100 pages longer than it should have. I gave it 2 stars as I can see where the story is heading, but in honestly it was no comparison to the Summoning series nor men/women of the otherworld. Sorry but this one just wasn't for me girls xx

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Linda wrote: "it is! have u read the summoning series by same person? also good"

yeah i read the summoning series. well hopefully i read it this summer just to see if i like it or not