Pam's Reviews > Tonight I Said Goodbye

1952202
Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries
Read in June, 2010

This book grabbed me from the first page. Reminiscent of Raymond Chandler, the pacing and clipped dialogue from the start made it easy reading. The opening paragraph is arresting and just plain fabulous:
"The last time John Weston saw his son alive, it was a frigid afternoon in the first week of March, and John's granddaughter was building a snowman as the two men stood int eh driveway and talked. Before he left, John gave his son a fatherly pat on the shoulder and promised to see him again soon. he saw him soon--stretched out in a morgue less than forty-eight hours later, dead of a small-caliber gunshot wound to the head. John was saved the horror of viewing his granddaughter in a similar state, but the reason for that was a hollow consolation: Five-year-old Betsy Weston and her mother were missing."

An impressive opening for any debut, especially a 20 year old. His age only impacted the writing once or twice. My favorite was when he had a forty-year-old character call a 20 something "son."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tonight I Said Goodbye.