Bryon Medina's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

M_50x66
Dec 21, 07

Recommended for: Anyone who can comprehend it.
Read in February, 2007

This book took me on a great adventure, one that took me through a great range of emotions, and I have to say, it must be the cutest adventure I've ever been on. How can you not adore Bilbo and his hobbit friends with thier furry feet and quaint past-times?
Of course, by the same Tolkien (pun intended), how can you not be afraid for Bilbo as he faces trolls, gobblins, men, and numerous other dangers? I for one don't know how you couldn't, not with J.R.R.'s gift for character development. I quickly came to identify with Bilbo and realized that he and I share a fondness for many of the same things, such as: food, music, and pipe weed, just to name a few.
And I could easily see myself in his furry lack of shoes, as he finds himself in way over his head.
When I finally got around to reading this book I had allready read the
Lord of the Rings trilogy and felt like this was the low calorie version, but that was exactly what I needed in my life. After the great epic of the trilogy it would be years before I could watch Middle earth go through that kind of upheaval again, yet I just could'nt get enough of J.R.R.'s fascinating creation.
Or did he create it? Middle earth seems so ancient, so grand, and so complete I sometimes suspect that Tolkein didn't in fact make it up at all, but that somehow, somewhere, middle earth is out there and as real as we are. It's as if Tolkein saw it all himself and simply wrote it down.
If you haven't read this book, do so, and share it with everyone you love. Read it to people who will listen, or at least make shure that they can get a copy. No one should miss out on the the beutifull and mystical place that is middle earth, after all
who doesn't want to escape every now and then, if just for a little while?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.