Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*'s Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 03, 2014

bookshelves: library-book, paranormal, young-adult, secret-santa-2010-pick, reviewed
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Secret Santa 2010 Pick by JessicaB
Read in February, 2011 , read count: 1

3.5 - 4 Stars

This was a We Love Lisa Kleypas Group “Secret” Santa pick from JessicaB. Thanks, Jessica!

This is going to be a fairly short, and a bit uncertain, review. Yes, I can do short ones without hottie photos! ^_^

This is my first Kelley Armstrong book.

Chloe Saunders is a late bloomer and puberty doesn’t fully hit her until her 15th birthday, when weird things start happening to her. She's seeing people that nobody else can. When she suffers a breakdown in school, her guardian, Aunt Lauren, sends her to a highly recommended group home called Lyle House.

Chloe gets labelled as “Schizophrenic”. It isn’t until another girl in the home with a “thing” for fire befriends her, and suggests to Chloe that she might be actually be seeing ghosts that she begins to think maybe she’s not crazy, after all, just “special”. (Wow, that was a long sentence!) She begins to look at others in the home and realises that there may be others who are also “special”.

This is a YA book, written in the 1st-person (why does it seem like almost all YA books are written this way??), and was an easy read. It is a slow-paced book but drew me in and I could get back into it really easily, even though I read it over a couple of weeks, as I was unwell.

I’m rating this 3.5 - 4 Stars because I really did like it, but there’s something “missing” that I can’t quite put my finger on. This was a library book that I’ve already returned, so I can’t skim it again to figure it out. It may be the slow pace for most of the book? Suddenly things start happening toward the end, then the cliff-hanger ending, and feeling like even though I was engaged, there were things that were maybe drawn out? Yeah, maybe that’s it! ^_^ I don't know. Sorry if that's not very helpful. It's a bit fuzzy right now.

I am most interested in finding out more about the gruff and hugely built Derek, and no, not because he is muscular and well-built. Ahem. I really didn’t like him, at first, but then he captured my interest towards the middle of the book, and I found him more intriguing than his nice, good-looking brother, Simon. I will read the next book in this Darkest Powers series because I’m curious about where this story is going. This was very much a lead-in to the rest of the books in the series.

And I am interested in trying the Women of the Otherworld series (Adult) by this author, which was recommended to me by another GRs friend (Lisarenee).

Favourite quote:

"Life experience. I can talk it up, vow to broaden my horizons, but I’m still limited to the experiences with my life.

How can a person understand an experience that lies completely outside her own? She can see it, feel it, imagine what it would be like to live it, but it’s no different from seeing a movie on a screen and saying, “Thank God that’s not me”."

How very true.

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the copyright to any of the images used in this review. They are posted to add visuals to the review and for fun. If any of these images are yours and you would like me to remove them, please let me know, and I will do so as soon as possible. If I can identify the copyright, I will do so.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

Quotes Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“Life experience. I can talk it up, vow to broaden my horizons, but I’m still limited to the experiences with my life.

How can a person understand an experience that lies completely outside her own? She can see it, feel it, imagine what it would be like to live it, but it’s no different from seeing a movie on a screen and saying, “Thank God that’s not me”.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning

message 1: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 02, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Zosia wrote: "Great review! I tried this author (her 'Women of the Otherworld' series) and didn't really see why everyone else loves it so much. I couldn't figure out exactly what was missing either!"

Thanks, Zosia. Oh, no! I guess when I try the Women of the Otherworld seriess, I'll have to be more observant, so if I don't love it, I can explain WHY.

I really don't know what it was about this book that didn't make me love it. It was a page turner whenever I picked it up, even though it wasn't action-packed, so...I really don't know.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH The author's Women of the Otherworld series is very different. While I gave this book 4 stars, it was because I felt it was a decent book in the YA genre. The rest of this series is a lot of running away from the bad adults. I prefer the author's other books more, especially her Elena and Clay books (Bitten, Stolen, Broken, and Frostbitten).

message 3: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 02, 2011 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* AH wrote: "The author's Women of the Otherworld series is very different. While I gave this book 4 stars, it was because I felt it was a decent book in the YA genre. The rest of this series is a lot of runnin..."

Thanks for the info, AH. I've just changed my rating from 3.5 to 3.5-4 Stars. LOL Because I'm really kinda undecided. As I said, I really did like it, and you're right, I think it's a decent book in the YA genre, too. Really? Just a lot of running away from the adults? How is the character development, though? Is the first book the best, for you?

I will definitely read Bitten from her Women of the Otherworld books. So I gather that Elena and Clay are the main characters in that series?

DarienMoya I really liked the books up to book 2, I thought it was just so well done in the YA genre. More solid characters, and an intriguing story line. I also like that teens are teens, this is one of my fave YA series.

The women of the otherworld series, I dont know, I have only read book one and wasnt really impressed with it. I have the others and I am in no rush to read them. Bitten kinda ruined the vibe, and people talk so highly of it. It was *Meh* for me.

message 5: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Dharlicious aka (DarienMoya) wrote: "I really liked the books up to book 2, I thought it was just so well done in the YA genre. More solid characters, and an intriguing story line. I also like that teens are teens, this is one of my fave YA series."

Thanks, Darien. My fave YA books are the Perfect Chemistry series, Twilight series, Melina Marchetta's books, Mortal Instruments series, and Hunger Games series (though I still have to read the last book). I haven't read too much in YA Paranormal, actually. But I really did enjoy this and will finish the trilogy. I need to know what happens!

Hmm...there seems to mixed reviews about Bitten. I will read it, but not for a while as I have so many other books I want to read right now.

DarienMoya Love the Mortal Instruments too, Twilight is my crack. I have posters (shhhh, my dirty little secret lol). I must of read about Bella/Edward like 15 times back to back. I would finish the series and start right over.

I am looking forward to reading Perfect Chemistry and The Hunger Games.

message 7: by Rane (new)

Rane LOL! Great Review Jayne! that kitten just jumped out from the review ;D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Dharlicious aka (DarienMoya) wrote: "Love the Mortal Instruments too, Twilight is my crack. I have posters (shhhh, my dirty little secret lol). I must of read about Bella/Edward like 15 times back to back. I would finish the series an..."

Darien, I know what you mean about Twilight. It is still the only books that I've read back-to-back, several times. I may read something twice in a row, or re-read it a few years later, but it's like I just couldn't stop going back and re-reading the Twilight books. It was very strange. I just couldn't let Edward and Bella go, for a while. But then I discovered the BDB, and it broke the spell (though I stil love Twilight) and I suddenly learnt of a whole new genre to me then, called PNR. ^_^ I was only a Historical Romance and Romantic Suspense reader before that. Twilight also led me here to GRs, which has expanded my TBR to mountainous proportions! LOL

I love Perfect Chemistry! Alex Fuentes is just…*SIGHS*…I LOVE him! He's my non-supernatural YA love. ^_^ I hope you enjoy the series when you do read it. The last book in the trilogy is coming out this May.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Rane wrote: "LOL! Great Review Jayne! that kitten just jumped out from the review ;D"

Thanks, Rane. Hope the kitteh didn't scare you. ^_^ Cute, kitteh. *pats kitteh's head*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Wow.... that quote at the bottom is very true.

Great review!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Wow.... that quote at the bottom is very true.

Great review!"

I just loved that quote when I came across it. It is so true. And she said it so well.

Thanks, Dhes!

Nicole I loved this series. If you liked it you should keep reading to the darkness rising seried. Its also by kelley armstrong and is like an extendion to this series. Its about an addopted girl named Maya who has a connection with animals and finds out her & her friends may be more than they seem. They are also being hunted down.