Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > Just One of the Guys

Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins

The wonderful Lauren Willig mentioned this book on her blog a few days ago, and I happened to be between books at the time so I decided to pick up a copy on a whim. It quickly became clear as I was reading that I had found a new favorite. Not only a new favorite book, but a new favorite author!

Chastity O'Neill is not down with being considered "just another brother" by close family friend Trevor Meade. The question is, what is she gonna do about it? She is such a great character - certainly not a weak female in need of a man! She has beefy(ish) arms and shoulders as she is a rower, a massive Lord of the Rings obsession, and a fierce independent streak.

You will be rooting for her like you have never rooted for anyone, and this even leads to a few slightly emotional moments because you'll be so involved with her character. Another character you'll love is her (ugly) dog Buttercup. They have some great moments together as well.

No, not much about the plot of this book is terribly original. Who cares? When you pick up a novel with a romantic plot, what you hope for is dynamic characters and a story worth reading, and this book will give you more than you could hope for in that regard. The dialogue is wonderful and constantly infused with very snarky humor. Seriously, you'll spend a lot of time laughing.

This is a fantastic book, definitely a must read for any romance/chick-lit fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One of the Guys.