Valerie's Reviews > The Stormchasers

The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum

Jul 04, 10

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read from June 22 to 30, 2010

First off I really like the cover. Usually I don't think too much about them unless they are terrible, but I really liked that the sister is on the front and then if you turn it around the brother is on the back (and no faces). I appreciated that the book was set in the mid-west (tornado alley to be specific); an often neglected part of the US.

The moment you start reading the book you know this woman has problems. Though she is successful in her job and money, her personal life is another story. Karena has been looking for her twin brother for twenty years. After a call from a from a Wichita Kansas hospital, on her/their birthday of all days, she is determined to find him. How? By chasing the storms -tornados that is- because of course her bipolar twin chases storms.

Despite what that may sound like the book doesn't have as much tornado scenes as you'd expect and they weren't as exciting as I had hoped. It is mostly focused on the Karena’s relationship with her brother, Charles, which is of course messed up. There is this huge secret that they both keep and something that Karena did to Charles that she has regretted for 20 years.

The book is set up in 3 sections: 1st- looking for Charles; 2nd- Karena's and Charles's past; 3rd- the aftermath of finding Charles. The first part wasn’t very entertaining though you’d think it would be with storm chasing and a romance going on. The romance was pretty fast and I didn’t like it. Karena is all for keeping the fact that her brother is bipolar a secret from the people she chases with. “This is family business” she remembers her dad saying and I thought yeah this makes sense; it’s nobody’s business what your personal life is. She keeps from telling anyone—for three days—and then she caves in and tells Kevin. By the end of the week everyone in the crew knows about her brother, way to keep it a secret Karena. Also she and Kevin hook up by the end of the week after two meaningful conversations. My only complaint is, why so much build up? They waited sooooo long before they got together. I know she tried to build up the relationship thoroughly before doing anything unwise like sleeping with someone you just met but seriously she waited six whole days! If you couldn't tell I'm being sarcastic.

Now the other secret that is major she keeps under wraps much longer, maybe too long. The middle section of the story I enjoyed the most, which is when the reader finds out what the major secret is. The relationship between Karena and Charles is as realistic as I can imagine with a bipolar disorder in the mix. It’s darker than I had imagined but I learned more about the bipolar disorder. There are parts I could feel for both siblings and their mother. There is some cheesy dialect but overall the writing was great.

And last but not least the ending, I may be spoiling but I don’t think so. I wasn’t not satisfied, but I’m big on endings. Meaning, I like happy endings. And you would think on how it turned out she would be happy but she’s not, not completely. It was like things are all right, but they will never be any better than that. Karena can never truly let Charles go it seems; she has to be near him all the time (within driving distance that is). I thought I was close to my siblings but they are really close. I could appreiciate their relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stormchasers.

06/26/2010 page 122
06/27/2010 page 160
53.0% "Not sure I'm likeing it." 1 comment
06/28/2010 page 260
86.0% "Didn't expect that...I'll keep reading."
show 1 hidden update…