William Herschel's Reviews > Peake's Progress: Selected Writings and Drawings

Peake's Progress by Mervyn Peake

Jan 19, 11

bookshelves: own, poems-verse, 2011
Recommended for: Gormenghast readers looking for more
Read in January, 2011

This provided a lot of insight into Peake and ultimately the Gormenghast trilogy. I found many pervasive themes in much of his work and learned a bit about his childhood and history thereafter.

Peake dabbled in a lot. He wrote novels, illustrated, made costumes, wrote plays, poetry.. which are mostly all exhibited here. There are also notes/drafts to an early version of Titus Groan and an autobiography that never really got past the preliminary stages.

One highlight is one of two plays, The Wit to Woo. It's clever and amusing and I'm sad to learn that at the time it was a failure and that Peake's health declined upon learning this. It's very sad. I can only imagine what the man would have produced if it weren't for having to pay his bills and his early death.

My only complaint is that it didn't contain more. I was disappointed in particular on the limited drawings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peake's Progress.

01/09/2011 page 37
01/11/2011 page 117
20.0% ""I Waxes, and I Wanes, Sir" I waxes, and I wanes, sir; / I ebb's and I flows; / Some say it be my Brains, sir, / Some says it be my Nose. / / It isn't as I'm slow, sir, / (To cut a story long), / It's just I'd LOVE to know, sir, / Which one of them is WRONG."
show 3 hidden updates…