angie's Reviews > Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer

Like Me by Chely Wright

Jun 22, 10

Sadly...we live in our world where preconceived (and false) ideas about gays and lesbians make coming out as relevant and important as ever ...Ms. Wright breaks a lot of the stereotypes about gay women both in her appearance and her strong Christian background and the pain that she's lived and kept hidden ('til now) is all too real and raw.

Just ask anyone who is still in closet (hypothetically of course since they are, after all, in the closet) and they most likely will speak of the heartache and loneliness and inner shame of being gay.

Until we live in a world where homosexuality is not seen as sinful and understood to be just as real and vital as heterosexual love, books like Ms. Wright's will always be needed and read...my soul aches for anyone who has known the excruciating struggle to be "normal" in a world where same gender love is so often met with hate.

I am so glad Chely Wright wrote Like Me ...I can't even begin to imagine the good that could have been done if books like this one had been written in earlier decades when there was no one to look to who could show (and tell) us that who you happened to fall in love with did not determine whether you were a freak or not.

Wright's book, though, isn't all about her sexuality. There is tons more to this wonderfully written autobiography!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Me.

Quotes angie Liked

Chely Wright
“I hear the word "tolerance" -- that some people are trying to teach people to be tolerant of gays. I'm not satisfied with that word. I am gay, and I am not seeking to be "tolerated." One tolerates a toothache, rush-hour traffic, an annoying neighbor with a cluttered yard. I am not a negative to be tolerated.”
Chely Wright, Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer