Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Blood Sucker: Legend of Zipangu, Volume 1

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: manga
Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert **
In spite of the rather lame title, this was fairly decent. Found it at halfprice bookstore and it is an 8-year-old manga at this point (which means I probably won't find any more). This is not the romantic sort of vampires. These vampires are utter killers. The beginning is a mix of 300 years ago and today. 300 years ago the vampire Migiri pretty much owned Japan until someone beheaded him. Today, someone has resurrected Migiri and one of the people standing in his way is Yusuke Himukai who is maimed and hospitalized for two years and in the process lose Kikuri during his first meeting with Migiri (who Kikuri is we're not sure but probably a lover).

Two years later, the police have Yusuke sprung from the hospital by Maezono, a young woman who is more or less a dhampire or half vampire and cold as ice. In the two years of Yusuke's commitment, Migiri has spread the vampire plague over much of Japan. Yusuke has a connection to the warrior who killed Migiri 300 years ago but we don't know what yet. There is another warrior, nameless unless I missed it, who seems to be a better vampire hunter than Yusuke and we see snippets of his battles.

Honestly, the story line isn't too unique but it's well told. It's gritty. The art is realistic and this carries a rating of 18+. It earns it. It's gory and there is full frontal nudity and no end of violence. I wonder if I can turn up #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Sucker.