sylas's Reviews > Juniper Tree Burning

Juniper Tree Burning by Goldberry Long

Jul 08, 08

bookshelves: bookish-book-club
Recommended to sylas by: Simon
Recommended for: Anyone who's dealt with weird family shit.
Read in July, 2008

I'd actually like to give this book 3.5 stars. Maybe even four. I need to ruminate about it some more, I think.

This book was very difficult for me to read. I mean, it took me quite a long time. I really struggled with the negativity of the main character. Her self loathing was so intense, it was almost triggering for me. I think I related too much to Jennie. In ways that I didn't want to.

This is a story about family. About choosing the way your past will impact your future, and - really - every moment of your life. I adored the way this book ended. I think I had to really hate Jennie to love her.

This book took me a MONTH to read. If you know me, you know this is unheard of. Proof of my struggle, I suppose.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juniper Tree Burning.

Quotes sylas Liked

“[...] I wondered why I was acting so calm. I wondered why I didn't writhe against being inside my own body. If I could rip off my skin, I'd leave it in a bloody, shapeless heap on the floor beside the toilet, like so much dirty laundry. I'd beat my head against the wall until there was nothing left of my face, if it would get me outside of myself.”
Goldberry Long, Juniper Tree Burning

“It came to me that I was crying, a steady runoff, a bodily function like anything else the body does on its own, a beating heart, a breath[...]”
Goldberry Long, Juniper Tree Burning

“Empathy is just another way to talk about yourself.”