Tori's Reviews > The Strange Case Of The Composer And His Judge

The Strange Case Of The Composer And His Judge by Patricia Duncker

Jun 22, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, first-reads
Read from June 29 to 30, 2010

What a difficult review to write....... this is a book I probably never would have picked up on my own, but since I won it on Goodreads, I was definitely going to read it. The story deals with a secret organization called The Faith - a group of whom commit a mass suicide on New Year's Eve. The main character is The Judge, Dominique Carpentier, who is investigating the case. Much of the mystery surrounds The Composer. At first, it was a little off-putting, referring to the characters as such, but I got used to it. I thought the author writes beautifully. she is able to describe scenes with an artist's eye. there is not fast-paced action, but the story is so fascinating and captivating that it impels you to move forward. The story was provocative, in that it forces the reader (me, at least) to think about cult vs. sect vs. religion vs. charisma. Sometimes the dialogue was in French or German, and although you could get the gist of it, it was very different from the standard English novel. Here were some good thoughts to ponder:
No one is worthless just because they believe something different from me.
Do I have the right to condemn anyone?
Everything already is both before us and within us.
"The truth cannot be spoken clearly and with conviction, and remain unheard."
I also appreciated the fact that the Judge corrected the Composer's belief that Christian Science is a sect. She assumed he was confusing it with Scientology, and suggested he read Science & Health!
At first, because it was slow moving, I was thinking it would probably be a 2-3 star novel, but as I got into it, I thought - wow - this will be 5 stars. My only disappointment was the ending. It wasn't bad, but too abrupt for my thinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case Of The Composer And His Judge.

02/25/2016 marked as: read