Amalia's Reviews > The Rumpelstiltskin Problem

F 50x66
Jun 22, 2010

it was ok
Read from June 22 to July 17, 2010

A friend of mine picked this book up at a used bookstore and decided it would be something I would like! Well, I love children's literature, including fairy tales. I have a particular soft spot for fairy tale retellings so I can see what my friend saw I would see in this slim volume. Do you see what I mean?

Ok. Down to business. The six retellings in this book are all interesting twists on the original. I definitely preferred some over others and probably liked the last one the best. However, I made the mistak of reading this volume as I wouild a book, straight through and in order of presentation. While it is an interesting read and I love the concept, I would highly reccomend reading each story as an entity of its own. Read something else completely different in between stories to keep the plot freshish. Vande Velde has kept the main elements of the original tale in each of the six versions presented so it does get a bit tedious when read as a novel.

Take them as the short stories they are meant to be and this volume is a wonderful study of possibilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rumpelstiltskin Problem.

06/22/2016 marked as: read