Shally Clark's Reviews > Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of the Emmett Till Case

Getting Away with Murder by Chris Crowe

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: may-june-2010-books
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

Summary: This is a biography of a young black hero back in the 1950s before the big Civil Rights movement was intact. It talked about the history of the time, Emmett's life, the economic and social background. It tells about how Emmett was brutally murdered by two White men for violating the Jim Crow laws by talking to a White woman. It also tells about the trial and people's reactions. It was because of the pictures that were published in news paper's and magazines nationally that the Civil Right Movement picked up pace.

My reaction: I loved reading the book. It was very well-developed and informational. I liked the emotional appeal and the realistic way the events in Emmett Till's life were taken at that time. I love history and I think Emmett Till is one person who influenced our country greatly. It is important to teach children and others about it by reading books like these and sharing your thoughts. It is obvious that I felt passionate about Emmett Till's story and I would recommend others to read the book if they want to feel similar passion.