Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)'s Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Jun 22, 2010

bookshelves: favorite-books

When I got Revolution and saw that it was about 500 pages long I cringed a little and thought about passing it on. I'm very glad I decided to read it because it did no disappoint.
Andi is an angry 17 year old girl that lives in Brooklyn, she blames herself for the death of her little brother and is pretty much suicidal throughout the book which was a little depressing at times. She buries her feelings in her passion for music and her pills. When her estranged father finds out that she's failing her classes he decides to take her with him to Paris where he's working. From then on the story gets even better when Andi finds a diary of a girl her age that lived in Paris over two hundred years before. As Andi reads each entry from the diary we get glimpses into this other girl's life back in Paris during the time of the French Revolution.

I'm a sucker for historical fiction but I love it even more when the author adds a lot of European History in the story, it just makes me want to read it a lot more and I definitely got hooked on this one. As soon as Andi started reading from Alexandrine's diary about the prince Louis-Charles and his parents Marie Antoinette and Louis the XVI I found myself unable to put it down for too long. I love that the book takes the reader back and forth between Andi's life in the present and to the life of Alexandrine in the 18th century. We get to see how different life was for her and how difficult, but also how many things are still unchanged. The only thing I had a problem with was at the end, it was a good ending to the story but the way it was written bothered me a little. It felt like the author was writing it in a hurry, like she was summarizing everything. Other than that I really liked this book. There are some really awesome quotes in the book plus a wonderful message. There's a little bit of romance, a lot of focus on music and lots of historical facts about Paris. I really recommend this one even to those that are not big fans of historical fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.