Susan's Reviews > Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West

Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose

Mar 17, 08

Recommended for: Everyone who loves history and the courage displayed those who explored this great land, America
Read in March, 2008

I have really enjoyed reading the notes made by Merriweather Lewis, and his relationship with his partner, William Clark. These were two men who really had "undaunted courage" and faced new challenges unknown to all others as they daily across this vast continent and to the Pacific Ocean and back again. This book tells about the relationship of these two men, apparently without conflict, or little, if any in the course of their exploration. In reading this book you can also learn about the many tribes of Indians and they way Lewis/Clark viewed them: savages, uneducated, and definitely in need of their way of life to better them. It actually always makes me sad to read the way that these marvelous people were treated as people of little worth when in reality it was us who took their land and their possessions from them. History is always a fascinating read and I think any one interested in learning more about our history would find this really a "good read."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undaunted Courage.