Nan's Reviews > Maybe This Time

Sep 09, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Angie
Read from September 08 to 09, 2013, read count: 2

Edited to add: Yep, still love this book after the second read. I loved it so much I wanted to restart it right from the beginning as soon as I'd finished it.

I received this book through the bookswap. The previous owner won it in a First Reads giveaway and didn't care for it. (According to her review, she didn't like the coarse language and objected to one of the plot lines.)

I loved the book.

The only other Crusie novel I've read is Bet Me. I'll have to change that. Having read the two books, I can say that there are some similarities between them. The mothers in Bet Me, for instance, have some real connections to the mothers in Maybe This Time. However, in the new book, the characters have more heart. Even though they may be cold at times, they're also fierce.

As the novel opens, Andie Miller is waiting to speak to her ex-husband. They've been divorced for ten years, and she wants to give him ten years worth of uncashed alimony checks--alimony that she never wanted. The monthly checks create a tie betwen Andie and North, a tie that she wants to cut before she accepts her boyfriend's marriage proposal. When she speaks with North, however, he makes her an offer that she can't refuse: he'll pay her $10,000 a month to work with his cousins (the children of his recently deceased cousin) to get them ready for school and willing to leave their home. He does warn her--the boy, Carter, was expelled from school for arson, and the girl, Alice, had a psychotic break when the last governess tried to force them to move out of the house. Oh, and the last governess said there were ghosts. He knows Allie is the only one that can help these kids . . . and this will help to delay her new wedding . . .

Allie takes the job because, while she won't accept alimony from North, she will work for him. The $10,000 is excessive, but it's different than getting money simply because she was once married to him.

On her arrival at Archer House, Allie has to use all of her talents to reach these kids--and to clean up the mess that follows her from Columbus.

I loved this book. It was fast paced and entertaining, and I was rooting for the ending. The dialogue was intelligent and witty. I could rave on and on about this book, but I'll simply end this by saying: Read the book. You won't regret it. (Unless you agree with the original owner of my copy.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe This Time.