Simcha Lazarus's Reviews > Tracking the Tempest

Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler

Jun 22, 10

Tracking the Tempest is a fun fast-paced adventure that rarely slows down once the story gets moving. Jane is delightful protagonist who reminds me of Sookie from Charlaine Harris’s Southern Vampire books. She is an average girl who suddenly finds herself a part of a world she never new existed, and now has to do her best to straddle the two worlds while developing her own magical skills. Jane is a funny, down to earth heroine who readers will enjoy spending time with. There are also plenty of interesting and quirky side-characters that add additional flavor to the story

With that said, Tracking the Tempest didn’t really charm me quite as much as its predecessor, Tempest Rising. The first book was an adventure of discovery where we met Jane for the first time and were won over by her personality even as we sympathized with her struggles. We also learned about the interesting supernatural world that Peeler created and watched as Jane developed a romance with the suave vampire Ryu.

Tracking the Tempest has a lot of themes found in many other urban fantasies, such as a werewolf vs. vampire love triangle (a situation which is still only being set up), a heated search for a dangerous villain, political intrigue involving a possible traitor, and lots of dead bodies. There is just not as much fresh and unique material here as there was in Tempest Rising.

Jane and Ryu are now a couple and I found their relationship to be far less interesting than it was in the introductory stages. There is no real romance here, though there is plenty of lustful thoughts and sex, which some people might enjoy reading about but I don’t really find entertaining. Though things do a get a bit more interesting when the barghest Anyan appears…

It’s mostly Jane’s personality that differentiates Tracking the Tempest from other books in the genre, though there are some interesting supernatural creatures here that I haven't yet seen elsewhere, which also gave the book a bit of an edge. So while Tracking the Tempest didn't quite live up to my expectations I did still enjoy it enough to complete the book in one day and I do look forward to following it up with the sequel, Tempest's Legacy.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracking the Tempest.