DC's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

May 12, 2011

bookshelves: ebook-audiobook, five-star
Read from April 27 to May 12, 2011

I've known about this story for a while (summary reading, hints, movie), but I haven't actually read it in its entirety. I can quite say that in reading this, I envisioned Elizabeth to be Keira Knightley xD

At any rate, this was a great read for me. It seemed at first to be a show of Mr. Bingley and Jane, but the tone definitely shifted more towards Elizabeth & Darcy at the end. There are opulent descriptions of the surroundings, but I was quite amused to read somewhere that it is "not the aim of this to be an actual guide" to the English countryside. There are a string of quirky characters (all of which have incredibly real personalities)-- from the endearing to the disgusting to the simply interesting. It had a nice and simple epilogue as well, showing us the endings for almost all of them as well.

The story seemed like is a good Victorian-age chick read, with all its lovey-doveyness, drama and happy endings. If you're used to the modern chick lit reads, this may pale in comparison, but this old-school romantic story is still one of the classics :)