Maggie's Reviews > Rumble Fish

F 50x66
Jun 22, 2010

liked it
Read on June 28, 2010

I'm really not sure how to rate this one. I read it in one day and it hooked me with its suspenseful plot and realistic dialogue. Plus, I love stories about tough guys and gangs in the '50s and '60s. But after I closed the book, I didn't have a clear reaction to it that I could pinpoint and then translate into a starred rating.

Rusty-James is a young "tough guy" who idolized his older brother, The Motorcycle Boy (real name is never mentioned). Like any young kid with a cool older brother, Rusty wants to be just like him--tough, carefree, strong and smart. I think we've all known someone like the Motorcycle Boy. It's that person that seems to be able to do anything and everything, who is effortlessly cool and confident, and who makes life seem easy. The trouble is people like that don't exist. From the outside looking in, they may seem to have all the answers, but deep down they're people just like the rest of us with all kinds of problems and insecurities. The Motorcycle Boy is more like a symbol or metaphor in that sense, and from the beginning I had guessed at how things would turn out at the end because that just doesn't last.

I didn't enjoy this as much as The Outsiders, but it's a very thought-provoking book.

ETA: Upon further reflection, I'm giving it a 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumble Fish.

06/28/2010 page 40