Hannah Nelson's Reviews > Very Far Away from Anywhere Else

Very Far Away from Anywhere Else by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: second-10
Read from June 21 to 22, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I didnt really enjoy this book. It reminded me a little of Dairy Queen only the main character is a boy and is also slightly annoying instead of endearing like D.J. Schwenk. It is about a 17 year old boy named Owen Griffeth who is a senior in highschool and is trying to find his place in society. He meets a girl who is also trying to find her place and they become eachothers best friends. They have so much fun and help each other a lot until Owen decides that they should be more than friends and tries to push their relationship along and She say no. He gets very depressed and stops caring about basically everything he had once cared about. They end up figuring out together what it means to love and what it means to live life. The author hits on a really interesting teenage issue that I remember going through. She puts it into words really well, but besides that, I kind of felt like Owen was just a little whinny. It was also interesting to have a female author write from a male characters perspective. I know that can work sometimes but Im not sure how I felt about it this time. I like the style of writing, the diary type story like Dairy Queen, but this coming of age, diary story just did not work for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Far Away from Anywhere Else.