Jehan's Reviews > Knocked Up: Confessions of a Modern Mother-to-be

Knocked Up by Rebecca Eckler

3208020
Aug 15, 10

Read from July 28 to August 15, 2010

I pride myself on reading books ranging from being really good reads to well, really not good reads. This fell in the latter range. I was contemplating giving it two stars, but the ratio of funny bits to non-funny bits was not very encouraging. I suppose if there was a one and a half star, I'd give it that.

It was rather difficult to get through, and I felt the whole process a little chore-like, what with the constant complaining and self-absorbed rhetoric. However, I give her 5 stars for being true to herself, and being honest- I am sure this really is a depiction of how she is in real life: shallow and proud of it. I feel that she has strange priorities, a one-track-in-her-own-world-narrow-mindedness that I thought was an exaggeration in films of the "typical" pretentious and gilded high-life of big-city folk. Sort of trying to be new age and modern but completely missing the mark, really just reminding me of sheep.

The funny thing is, this is not because I dislike her, it is merely a partial observation, much like the fact that when she was holding a baby for the first time, I was truly horrified she was going to say she dropped him (this being something I see her doing from the way she describes herself). A simple read, but a very tedious one- I did learn a few things about pregnancy for when I'm 29 I suppose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knocked Up.