Eva Leger's Reviews > Bound

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: b-fiction, y-a
Recommended to Eva by: library
Read from July 02 to 03, 2010, read count: once

A beautiful quote from the book: "If you fall into water, you my still be saved. If you fall down in literary matters, there is no life left for you." How beautiful is that?
I'm requesting Beast from my library today. I'm so surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did being that I'm way more of a non-fiction and memoir fan than a fantasty/sci-fi/fairytale reader.
How could I read the description on the back of the book and not want to know what that was about? For the most part it felt like a light, fun read but a little more than three quarters of the way through something happened and I felt my breath catch in my throat. Napoli has a way with her writing that really sucks you in and gives you a real feel for something unknown. I know next to nothing about China at all. Much less China in this dynasty, the beliefs of people in Chine, how they look at ancestry, etc. But reading this made me feel like I did,I felt how important that fish was to Xing Xing. I think I actually felt a bit of hatred towards her step-mother after that awful situation.
Loved the "flirting" with the prince too - awesome part! Maybe I found a new genre? I'm wide open for suggestions too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.

07/02/2010 page 25
13.0% "different takes on fairytales aren't the type of books I go for normally but the foot binding here got my interest and so far Napoli's writing is on point."
07/02/2010 page 86
45.0% "definitely different..."
07/02/2010 page 92
48.0% "going to read a little more before bed - just got halfway here..."