Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jun 02, 2011

bookshelves: sci-fi, ya-fiction, thriller-suspense, mystery
Read from May 30 to June 02, 2011 — I own a copy

Well, damn. Listen, I'm a guy. I see two teens doing the almost-kiss on a book cover and immediately roll my eyes and think "chick-lit." Yeah, Across the Universe has a romance, and it is the weakest point of the book, but it manages to do SO much more than that at the same time. I was blind sighted at how good it is.

Amy and her parents (a military officer and biochemist) are flash-frozen and stored upon Godspeed, a ship that is charting a 300 year course to Centuari-Earth. The "frozens" are sleeping the entire trip to be able to provide important military, biological and ecological assistance in helping life survive on the new planet.

But over the centuries, above their frozen cargo hold, a dystopic society arises. After the mysterious events of a ship-wide Plague, a regime of "Elders" are set into place, whom Hitler would have envied. It's hard to describe any parts of the society without giving spoilers, but needless to say, its well-rounded, well explained and undeniably uber creepy. Three essential ingredients to your basic dystopic society.

So Amy and a bunch of other frozens get unplugged, with the overarching whodunnit running throughout the whole book. Along with discovering the origins of the society gone wrong, why people seem like mindless drones, and, most importantly, why they don't mind having sex in the middle of the street, it is the definition of a page-turner. (I actually read the last 200 of its 398 pages in one sitting).

Elder and Amy's relationship, while not, you know, breathtaking, is a bit more underwhelming. The final revelations create a nice spin on things (except that the end of the book went the COMPLETE opposite direction of which I wanted Ms. Revis to take with the news), but, really, it's just another case of different-girl-notices-muscly-guy-and-falls-in-love-five-minutes-later. I liked each individually as characters (especially after Elder learns his origins), but together, they just feel... forced.

But, all-in-all, this is worth a read. It plays to both tastes with enough sci-fi mystery to placate anyone who isn't reading the book because of the Spiderman kiss on the cover.

It's really more of a 4.5, with said cheesy romance, but I'm feeling nice today.

I definitely anticipate the sequel.

05/31/2011 page 131

message 1: by Austin (new) - added it

Austin I hope Elder isn't the killer. Cuz if he is, I already saw that one coming :/