Kelley's Reviews > Homecoming Day

Homecoming Day by Holly Jacobs

Jun 21, 2010

bookshelves: category-romance, print-books, contemporary-romance, own, signed
Read from November 11 to 23, 2010 — I own a copy

Courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques

Laura Watson was heartbroken when her fiancé, Jay, died of meningitis, and in addition to losing the man she loved, she lost her hopes for a happy family when she becomes estranged from his family… or so she thought. At least she still has her baby, and her students in the art classes at the high school where she teaches. And she has a new friend in one of Jay’s fellow police officers.

Lieutenant Seth Keller has suffered his own losses yet he finds himself inexplicably drawn to Laura. What started as friendship has grown into a love he never expected to feel again after losing his wife and their children. After helping Laura through the birth of her son, an unbreakable bond is formed. Now if only he can convince Laura that they can have their own Homecoming Day for Christmas as a family.

What’s not to love about a novel by Holly Jacobs? Heartwarming stories, ordinary people finding extraordinary love, gentle lessons hidden within the stories, and big boisterous families who know that their loved ones are the most important thing in their lives are found between the covers of Homecoming Day.

Laura and Seth are both wounded souls just trying to survive tragic losses. They find themselves bonding over their desire to help a troubled teen in Laura’s class and soon realize they have found kindred spirits in each other. Seeing the natural progression of their relationship from strangers to acquaintances to friends to coupledom as they both confront and overcome their difficulties and their grief makes for a beautiful and tender love story.

As a true book lover, I have to mention one very important thread of this story. I have been a reader for so long, I can’t even imagine what it must be like to have to struggle every day to finish reading the simplest of things. My heart went out to JT, Laura’s student who hides her inability to read behind a gruff and combative exterior. JT so desperately needs a little love and attention to help her overcome this difficulty. Homecoming Day brings to light the sad statistic of illiteracy in today’s teens and even, adults.

Of course, no book by Holly is complete without a loveable family and Seth’s eclectic family unit fits the bill wonderfully. His family is a blend of children and adults from all walks of life in his adoptive family. While the differences are understated, with the focus being on the family unit itself and not their individual characteristics. I absolutely love the tradition of celebrating the arrival of a new family member with a grand Homecoming Day. Such an emotional and touching reminder that families are so much more than blood, for it is simply love that unites us.

I’ve been following Holly Jacobs’ career from the earliest days and always get excited when a new book is released. Homecoming Day is another wonderful family love story that reminds me once again, families can be anything we want them to be.

© Kelley A. Hartsell, December 2010. All rights reserved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homecoming Day.

11/23/2010 page 256