Cat Conner's Reviews > The Ghosts of Kerfol

The Ghosts of Kerfol by Deborah Noyes

F_50x66
Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: young-adult-literature-2

"The Ghosts of Kerfol" is a unique tale that follows the fictional, yet haunted, estate of Kerfol in France. Deborah Noyes wrote the book based off a story by Edith Wharton. However, Noyes takes an interesting spin in weaving five unrelated protagonists together with the supernatural character of Kerfol. The book starts off with the original story for the estate being haunted: an old nobleman by the name of Yves de Cornault is savagely murder by what appears to be dogs, even though de Cornault himself has personally murdered all of the dogs that his young wife has brought to Kerfol. The novel continues chronologically from the 1600s (the century of de Cornault's murder) to the present, illustrating how the estate will have a maniacal hold on whomever dares to spend time there. A party girl socialite and deaf caretaker are only two of the protagonists who get ensnared by "The Ghosts of Kerfol". The book contains adventure, romance, multiple deaths, and mystery. What more could a reader ask for?

Well, I certainly could have asked for more. The premise of "The Ghosts of Kerfol" seems enticing and Noyes certainly provides enough suspense to keep the reader going, but I had a hard time with the stream of consciousness point of view of some of the main characters. Rather than focusing on the sequence of events, Noyes gets too much inside of the head of her characters when the reader just wants to know what is going on. I found following the plot to be hard because the main character would go into too much personal thought or too much description about his or her surroundings. Only the last story seemed to focus more on the chain of events leading up to the climax. I feel like good fiction should focus on those events.

Overall, "The Ghosts of Kerfol" was entertaining, though it doesn't live up to its potential. Noyes had a wonderful story with which to work and just didn't get me interested enough in what was happening to half of her main characters, although I am glad that she broke up the book into five stories. I was so ready to move on after a few of the stories and they provide a mental break for the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghosts of Kerfol.