♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

2641924
Jun 15, 13

bookshelves: genre-mystery, genre-classics, high-school-reads, favs, sync-ilbn, own
Read from June 15 to 16, 2013

I read this story (aka Ten Little Indians) as a kid (or teenager? I don't remember). I do remember really loving it then but the majority of the important details (like who did it and how things happened) were long since forgotten, which turns out to be a good thing because it was like reading it for the first time all over again! :)

There's definitely a reason that Agatha Christie is, to this day, still revered for her incredible skill at weaving a seemingly impossible mystery to solve. It's a skill that is really rare I think because most mysteries these days are either all-too-predictable or have no clues dispersed in them whatsoever.

Here's what I mean:

Without giving away who did and didn't "do it", I will say this. Agatha Christie allows for the possibility of a very clever reader to solve the mystery. She gives us clues along the way. But even if you think you're on the right track she'll throw a wrench in your train of thought by distracting you with something else. Her mystery-telling skills lie in the fact that she's able to give us clues at all without making the answers blatantly obvious. Too many "mysteries" these days will either weigh a little too heavily (and obviously) on the clues, or they will simply provide no clues whatsoever -- making it an impossible "mystery" to even try to solve. This is why Agatha Christie is a genius at her craft.

I did kind of figure out the mystery, even though I did doubt my conclusion many times before the story was done. But it was nevertheless cleverly crafted and an absolute pleasure to read and try to figure out!

I'm happy to be reading Agatha Christie again. She is one of my mom's favorite authors and I remember reading a few of her books when I was younger and I always enjoyed them. Now that I'm an adult I'm excited to read those again, as well as others I haven't had the pleasure of reading yet. Not many people can write mysteries like Agatha Christie, and this one remains one of my favorites to this day.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

04/23/2013 marked as: to-read-on-hold