Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Exorcist

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

Jun 21, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: horror

Another book I read after I saw the movie...though why still escapes me.

I found the book was well written but still, I don't remember that much specifically. It was strictly the fact of the movie and the commentary made on it that inspired me to pick it up.

It is a sensationalized story based on the idea of exorcism as practiced in the Catholic Church (and supposedly based on an actual incident). I'd say if you plan to read it, do so for the story, the gross out, and scare factor. If you're actually interested in modern exorcism there are better books. So...don't get your instruction nor your theology here.

The book (in my case) only barely escapes a single star rating as I also barely got through it and find nothing in it that memorable. It is however a frighting read and leaves at least an impression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exorcist.

09/05/2016 marked as: read

Kathy I've been meaning to read this, since I love the movie so much! You have me even more intrigued now!

Mike (the Paladin) It's been many years since I read it (right after I saw the movie). I like a certain type of horror, and this one brushes up against it, but I felt it went a little too much toward the "gross-out" school. Then again, that could just be me, it's probably very much a matter of taste.

Supposedly the novel is based on a real event recounted in a book, Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism by Thomas B. Allen, I haven't read it but it's one of those I intend to get around to. I'll look for your thoughts on The Exorcist when you've read it.

Kathy I'll definitely let you know.

The Black Hat Writer I think there's a lot more social commentary and philosophy in the book than there is actual Theology. Granted, theology is a prominent theme, but even once the tale is over, you still kind of question the validity of the possession. It's a melee of skepticism vs. spiritualism vs. psychology vs. parapsychology, like Hell House, only much better.

Mike (the Paladin) True but the setting lends itself to that right up to the "confrontation". That said I read this years ago so I might go a different way on some of that if I cared to reread it. I doubt I'd like it any better however.