Myra's Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

May 28, 08

bookshelves: adult-lit-prior-to-2008
Recommended for: Tara
Read in December, 2007

I just started this one last night, and I didn't want to put it down. I can't wait to finish it. :)

UPDATE:

Finished it, and I loved it. I've never read anything by Lisa See before, but I plan on reading more of her works.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is such a remarkable tale about frienship and love. It's set in nineteenth-century China, and offers quite a few historical and cultural lessons as well. Readers get to follow Lily and her laotong, Snow Flower, through childhood, their teen years, and through much of their adulthood. A very in-depth look at the relationship between these two girls is provided, and lessons in true friendship will leave their imprints upon any reader.

A running theme throughout the story is the treatment, and classification, of women in China. See provides a very eye-opening peek into the lives, thoughts, and feelings of women during that time frame. Even the relationships between mothers & daughters is given a very thorough examination. The hardest thing for this reader to digest was the footbinding that takes place and the mother's seeminly mean treatment of her daughter during it - I had a tissue in hand, I'll admit it.

Try to pick up a copy of the book that contains the "Reader's Guide" in the back, because it has wonderful notes from the auther about her writing process, research, and what she learned while creating this novel (discovery). At the very end of her note, she conveys a thought that rings so true: "On the surface, we as American women are independant, free, and mobile, but at our cores we still long for love, friendship, happiness, tranquility, and to be heard." If you long for any of these, please...read this book with an open and caring heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tara ooh! ooh! This one sounds right up my alley! I love stories rooted in old Asian culture. I will definitely pick this one up.

Myra I'm over half-way through this one now, and it just keeps getting better with every page. I really think you'll like it.