Doreen's Reviews > Lincoln: A Photobiography

Lincoln by Russell Freedman

Jun 21, 10

Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Summary: This book told about Lincoln’s life; where he grew up, what he did when he was younger, what he looked like, who he married, and how many kids he had. The book really went into depth when it started talking about Lincoln’s career before being elected as president. His background led him into the man that he became for the office of president. President Lincoln was the one who started the Civil war. He wanted to keep the Union together and as the war progressed he realized he would need to free the slaves in order to ensure peace for the Union. He is famous for his Emancipation proclamation, Gettysburg Address, and “winning” the Civil war. Soon after being victorious, President Lincoln was assassinated.

Comments: As I read this book, I sensed that President Lincoln had a great sense of humor. He did not think he was a very good looking person, and neither did anyone else. During a political debate he was called two-faced. He replied by saying, “I leave it to my audience. If I had another face, do you think I’d wear this one?” (pg. 1) Later in Lincoln’s life his secretary noted an instance when he said, “Common-looking people are the best in the world; that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.” (pg. 136)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lincoln.