Ashleigh Cartmill's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jan 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, humor, ya
Read in December, 2010

Okay, I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series. They were fun and interesting. But I adored this book. I believe that Riordan is just getting better at writing as time goes on. This book was intense, hilarious, and just an amazing read. And I can completely appreciate all of the research that went into this book, because he's taken Roman and Greek myths and he knows them well. The mythology can get complicated sometimes, but Riordan weaves it beautifully into his book. I want the next one now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

Quotes Ashleigh Liked

Rick Riordan
“I'm Dylan. I'm so cool. I want to date myself, but I don't know how! You want to date me instead? You're so lucky!”

Rick Riordan
“The forge looked like a steam-powered locomotive had smashed into the Greek Parthenon and they had fused together.”

Rick Riordan
“Even little Herley, who couldn't have been more than eight, looked like he could go six rounds with Chuck Norris without breaking a sweat.”

Rick Riordan
“Zeus looked like a really buff, really angry hippie.”

Rick Riordan
“Can we just call them storm spirits?” Leo asked. “Venti makes them sound like evil espresso drinks.”

Rick Riordan
“What's Cabin Nine?" Leo asked. "And I'm not a Vulcan!"
"Come on, Mr. Spock, I'll explain everything.”

Rick Riordan
“Destroy it?' Leo was appalled. 'You've got a life-size bronze dragon, and you want to destroy it?'
'It breathes fire,' Nyssa explained. 'It's deadly and out of control.'
'But it's a dragon!”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: "So...giants who can throw mountains. Friendly wolves that will eat us if we show weakness. Evil espresso drinks. Gotcha. Maybe this isn't the best time to bring up my psycho babysitter."
Piper: "Is that another joke?”

Rick Riordan
“I'm not good with children," the god confessed. "Or people. Well, any organic life forms, really.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo frowned at the giant's spire. "Can't we blow it up or something?"
"Without me, you do not have the power," Hera said. "You might as well try to destroy a mountain."
"Done that once today," Jason said.”

Rick Riordan
“But beauty is about finding the right fit, the most natural fit, To be perfect, you have to feel perfect about yourself --- avoid trying to be something you're not. For a goddess, that's especially hard. We can change so easily.
-Aphrodite”

Rick Riordan
“It'll be dangerous," Nyssa warned him. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."
"Oh." Suddenly Leo didn't look so excited. Then he remembered everyone was watching. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this.”

Rick Riordan
“You can tell the future?'
'More like the future mugs me from time to time.' Rachel said
'I speak prophecies. The oracle spirit kind of hijacks me once in a while, and speaks important stuff that doesn't make any sense to anybody. But yeah, the prophecies tell the future.”

Rick Riordan
“I'm the son of Jupiter, I'm a child of Rome, consul to demigods, praetor of the First Legion. I slew the Trojan sea monster, I toppled the black throne of Kronos, and destroyed Titan Krios with my own hand. And now I'm going to destroy you Porphyrion, and feed you to your own wolves."
"Wow, dude," Leo muttered, "You been eating red meat?”