April-lyn's Reviews > A Circle of Quiet

A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle

Jan 29, 2008

bookshelves: owned, memoir
Read in January, 2008

I've grown up reading Madeline L'Engle's writing. I don't remember exactly when I first read A Wrinkle in Time, but I think it's safe to say I was in elementry school, both exhilarated by life and by learning, and uncertain of where I fit into anything, especially with my peers. I'm just now realizing that for most of my life until the past few years, I've felt like my existence in this world was somewhat of a mistake.

I've turned to Wrinkle and the other books in the Time Quartet over the years whenever I feel frustrated, restless, lonely, ugly, or even just bored. These stories alway help me feel braver and stronger - that my existence here is definitely not a mistake, that there is something bigger than me, that I have a purpose and a place in the universe.

I started A Circle of Quiet today on my lunch break, and I'm about halfway through after a few hours of reading tonight. Even in her non-fiction, L'Engle inspires me and helps me reach my center. She raises questions about subjects that have been heavy on my mind recently - love, faith, art, responsibility, creativity - and yet I never feel inadequate for not having good answers to any of my questions, or to hers. She reminds me to have faith in the world around me and in life.

I have a feeling this is another book I will be turning to time and time again.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Circle of Quiet.

03/22 marked as: read

Kayla Wonderful review; I agree. L'Engle has always been one of my favorites, and I reread Wrinkle or Ring of Endless Light when I need a bit of encouragement of the beauty and purpose of life. Reading L'Engle is my happy place :)

Patti I first read Madeleine L' Engle's work, "Marriage: A Two-Part Invention", and was hooked. Her writing style makes me feel calm, and I love her choice of vocabulary, which I often find myself looking up in the dictionary. The words themselves are lyrical: diaphanous, for one. As of now, she is one of my most beloved authors, if not #1. I loved reading this every night before I went to sleep. I want to read the other two of the Crosswicks Journals, "The Summer of the Great-grandmother", and "The Irrational Season".