Christine's Reviews > Close to You

Close to You by Christina Dodd

Jun 21, 10

bookshelves: romance

After falling in love with Hope Prescott in the first volume in this series, I dutifully read through the second and third volumes to get some closure on the mystery of what did happen all those years ago in the Texas town. Ten-month-old Kaitlin (now Kate) is all grown up, a 24-year-old reporter trying to make a name for herself. Then a senator begins to stalk her and she begins to uncover truths that will lead her to her long-lost family.

After 24 years and the resources of an extremely wealth and influential man had failed to produce any truth in the small town in Texas, I frankly expected the conclusion to this mystery to be something pretty special. In the end, the revelations were unconvincing, the underlying motives that had driven the entire series turned out to be cheesy, and I couldn't think of any reason that it had taken 23 years to get the people of that small town to talk when they seemed so willing to do so in this book.

The romance of this book was ok, nothing special.

After finishing the series, I realize that the structure of this trilogy was a problem. I've read plenty of family romance series before, but never one that had a mystery reaching across three books. In my mind, that mystery was always a part of Hope's story -- the heroine from book one. I was never fully invested in her sisters stories because I just wanted to finish reading hers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close to You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Desi (new) - rated it 1 star

Desi I also wondered how the murderer moved the deadweight of the bodies from the workshop to a car and managed to stage a car crash situation. Because that seemed to be the general belief of the non complicit town's people as to what had happened. So a wreck was in there somewhere.