Angie's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Mar 04, 15

bookshelves: 1001-list, sci-fi, dystopian, 2010-favorites
Read from July 13 to 23, 2010

The characters in this book were a bit hard for me to identify with, but I guess that's to be expected given their upbringing. The writing wasn't as engaging as I had hoped, but the book still earns 4 stars from me because it has really made me think. I've twisted the circumstances of this book around in my mind a dozen ways since completing it and in doing so I feel as if I've uncovered a number of ways this book could be applied to everyday life. Fascinating.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

Purlewe I would be interested in discussing it with you. Altho it has been over a yr since I read the book, I still remember it really made me think.

Drew I read this several years ago and it still haunts me.

Angie It's been a few years for me as well. So many books since then.

Sonya I really loved this book. Ishiguro is coming to my town at the end of the month for a on-stage interview and then a craft talk and I can't wait to hear what he has to say about writing in general. I still think about Never Let Me Go. I agree that the writing is detached, but I think that added to the overall mood and despair of the story. I started The Buried Giant and it's different from anything else I've read of his works.

Ashley FL This one still haunts me also. At some point I want to reread it and see if I am so affected the second time. My recollection is that it was a 4 star/ 4.5 at the time of reading and grew to a 5 star over time.