Valerie's Reviews > A Hopeful Heart

A Hopeful Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Jun 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, for-book-reviews
Read in June, 2010

A Hopeful Heart, by Kim Vogel Sawyer, is a historical fiction about a group of young ladies who leave the eastern states to go to Kansas to attend Herdsmen School. I had never heard of this bit of history and was intrigued to learn while the west was being settled, indeed there were some "Herdsmen Schools" where young ladies went to learn how to be ranch wives. Once they learned the skills, they became available to be courted by the ranchers.

This story is about five such young ladies, Aunt Hattie who runs the school, and a rancher who is certain he doesn't want an easterner for a wife.

A Hopeful Heart is a good historical fiction - I learned some stuff I'd never heard of before - a romance and a suspense, all in one. I liked the way the author wove a suspense into the story. It added a whole new dimension.

The author did a good job of bringing the Christian element into her story. The Christianity in many Christian fictions seems forced and unreal. This is not the case with this story. I was touched by Tessa's spiritual experience and loved the way the theme of God using bad things in our lives for our good.

This book was provided to me by Graf-Martin Publication. It is available at your favorite bookseller of Bethany House books, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hopeful Heart.