Rachel's Reviews > A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World

A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: ventura-county-library, reviewed, popular-nonfiction
Read from June 21 to 22, 2010

A travelogue on the theme of pre-Plymouth European presence in the "New World," from the Vikings to the late-arriving English. Moves back and forth between recounting the history you maybe didn't learn about in school and reporting the author's interactions with the modern-day inhabitants of the various locations visited or settled by colonial Europeans, especially around the various tourist sites related to the colonial era.

An enjoyable read especially for history hobbyists -- those who like to visit historic sites and want to know "the rest of the story."

An aside: Books that use the conceit "what your history teacher didn't tell you" always bore me a little, because in almost every case, my history teacher DID in fact tell me the material there revealed. This makes me appreciate the truly excellent history education I received, and also the value of PAYING ATTENTION, since many of the things that general populace seems to be confused about really are covered in even the most basic history curriculum (e.g., Columbus did not land at Plymouth Rock).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voyage Long and Strange.