♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Promise Canyon

Promise Canyon by Robyn Carr

Oct 29, 10

bookshelves: genre-contemporary, arc-copy, ebook, netgalley, published-2011, steam-hot, read-2010
Read from October 25 to 27, 2010

What a great addition to the Virgin River series, and now one of my favorites in the series. I just loved it. In Promise Canyon, Robyn Carr has really outdone herself by creating one of her most intense and passionate romances yet. (Seriously, it got hot!) She also wove in a fun and touching side story that includes Jack, Hope and the entire town of Virgin River coming to odds with each other’s wishes, (and some really good laugh out loud moments!) And, of course, we briefly meet a few other new characters that will begin the story arcs for the next two books in this series.

Clay and Lilly are both Native Americans new to the Virgin River series. Clay Tahoma, a Navajo originally from the Navajo Nation in Flagstaff Arizona, was living in LA when Nate Jensen asks him to be his new vet assistant. He jumps at the opportunity as it will put him close to his sister Ursula who lives close by in Grace Valley, and it will give him the fresh start he needs from his ex-wife and a chance to build a life with his son. Lilly has lived in Virgin River for many years and helps run the local feed store with her Grandfather. She is of Hopi ancestry, which historically is enemy to the Navajo. (It made for some funny dialog, but these two do not take it seriously.) She meets Clay while delivering bales of hay to the Jensen’s farm, and the intense passion really sparks. They both have an intense passion for horses, which helps draw these two even closer.

I am not kidding when I say this is probably the most passionate romance in this series so far, and a great part of that is because these two are just perfect together. Lilly is cautious and a bit intimidated by Clay as he does come on a bit strong at first (but in such a powerful sexy sort of way. Yum!) He respects her wishes to be friends, but that doesn’t stop their attraction from boiling over. However, personal insecurities and past relationships will need to be dealt with for these two to really make it work. And you know they do. Without giving away any spoilers, let’s just say I shed a few happy tears in the closing scene.

I’ve been a big fan of this series since I first read Virgin River two years ago, and while not every book is as good as others (and some have been a bit frustrating) I always enjoy the trip back to Virgin River every time. With this book, I couldn’t recommend it more to fans of this series. I was lucky enough to get an ARC copy through Netgalley.com, but unfortunately it has a sixty-day expiration to it. So I will be buying this one for my keeper collection when it comes out end of December.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Canyon.

10/25/2010
5.0% "Wow, a hero and heroine both of Native American heritage?! Way cool!" 1 comment
10/26/2010
50.0% "So far fantastic, and this may be the hottest book in the VR series. Whew! Lilly and Clay are great together, and there is a funny side story with Jack, Hope, and the whole town going on."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rossy *whimpers* You are so lucky Karlyn!

♡Karlyn P♡ Rossy wrote: "*whimpers* You are so lucky Karlyn!"

Yes I am! Fantastic book, one to re-read for sure.

Rossy I just got an arc copy today to review, so i can't wait to start reading it tonight!

♡Karlyn P♡ Rossy wrote: "I just got an arc copy today to review, so i can't wait to start reading it tonight!"

Oh that is good news!!

Lisa Really looking forward to this one now, sounds great! Great review :)

Anne OK I can't wait to get my hands on this one. Great review KarLyn!

Rossy Fantastic review, Karlyn! Wasn't Clay just the yummiest? I swear i kept wanting to jump into the book and run my hand through his hair.

♡Karlyn P♡ Rossy wrote: "Fantastic review, Karlyn! Wasn't Clay just the yummiest? I swear i kept wanting to jump into the book and run my hand through his hair."

Yes!!!!!!!!!! He is my kind oh yummy hero. Long black hair, arm tats, sense of humor, and alpha hottness. I've been rereading the parts with Clay and Lilly, just loved their story.

Rossy I really enjoyed it a lot as well, though i keep going back and forth on my rating. On one hand i understood why Lilly held back the way she did and was so afraid. Yet i thought that whole mess with the ex was over the top on Lilly's part. I guess i felt exactly the way her friend Dane felt with the whole mess.
By the way, are you as curious as i am regarding that young boy who came to Jakes'?

♡Karlyn P♡ Rossy wrote: "I really enjoyed it a lot as well, though i keep going back and forth on my rating. On one hand i understood why Lilly held back the way she did and was so afraid. Yet i thought that whole mess wit..."

Yep , that new story arc looks interesting. Im pretty sure how it will unfold but may be wrong

Rossy Oh my, you have an idea who his father is? Send me a PM if you don't want to spoil anybody, am so curious and have no clue!LOL

♡Karlyn P♡ Rossy wrote: "Oh my, you have an idea who his father is? Send me a PM if you don't want to spoil anybody, am so curious and have no clue!LOL"

After re-reading it, I've changed my mind - thought it would be Jack but now I'm thinking not. But I think Jack will be an old friend of the father. There are a lot of questions to be answered, so hard to guess at this point! :-)

Rossy I went the same route thinking it may had been Jack, but the boy is about 20 yrs. old and that would not really match. I also agree that he will probably be an old friend of Jack's and that is why Jack thought he seemed familiar.

KatLynne Great review! Can't wait to read this one.

♡Karlyn P♡ I think what I liked best about it is the hero is one of her more alpha males without being a jerk, plus a heroine who matches the hero so perfectly. Plus it got pretty hot! There are small things I could pick at, but since I so enjoyed it so much I wont bother. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Shawna Great review, KarLynP! I was a little disappointed with this one, but I still enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to Wild Man Creek!