Rebecca ♥ Mat Cauthon ♥'s Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: classics, historical-fiction, romance, own-physical-copy, memorable-men, reviewed, favourites
Read from April 18 to 20, 2012

This book is perfection! It had everything I loved about the movie and more! As with most book-to-movie adaptations, the book contained so much more thought and insight to everyone's behaviour, and in a book such as this, understanding people couldnt be more important. And of course, a lot was taken out. Almost every meeting or dinner event in the movie, was in fact, 2 or 3, or 10 such events in the book. It is completely understandable that they were all condensed for the movie but kept the important dialogue. But, with all the added material, we see that Elizabeth and Darcy knew each other more than I thought. And that Elizabeth had the opportunity to develop feelings for him, and certain hopes for their future, even before she discovered his involvement in Lydia's marriage. I really enjoyed all the material that was new to me.

I was surprised by a few things. Firstly, the fact that the book feels rather silly. I dont know if this is what they considered comedy at the time, or if they found it entirely serious. But the whole thing felt rather lighthearted to me. Also, I discovered that I like the characters of Mrs. Bennett and Mr. Collins even less than I did before. They were both mean. Mrs. Bennett made it quite clear that Elizabeth was her least favourite daughter, and that she didnt care what became of her, as long as she understood that her mother would not be taking care of her if she didnt find a husband. What a horrible person. Also, Mr. Collins I knew could be condescending, but he was worse than I thought. He told Mr. Bennett, after Lydia's marriage, that he should have put her out of the house and never spoken her name again. Wow.

I also really appreciated the amount of information that was given after both Jane and Elizabeth were married. For those who are not familiar with the 2005 movie, it finished with the line from Mr. Bennett, "If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, send them in, for I am quite at my leisure." The book had another 8 pages, which explained how the marriages effected the family on both sides. And I always wondered what happened to Mary and Kitty, so I was glad to find out what I did. And I feel like I know Elizabeth and Darcy twice as well as I did before.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Mat Cauthon ♥ Liked

Jane Austen
“Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?"

"For the liveliness of your mind, I did.”

Jane Austen
“You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.”

Jane Austen
“Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.”

Jane Austen
“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

20.0% 1 comment
04/18/2012
20.0% "I love this book! Its my first time reading it, but I already knew I loved it. But it just makes me wanna watch the movie. The Keira Knightley one, not the BBC one. I know, I know, everyone says the BBC one is better. I have seen it twice, but I still prefer the Keira Knightley version, which I have seen more than 10 times." 1 comment
04/18/2012
50.0% "Wow! That proposal scene was brutal! Worse than in the movie. She really ripped him a new one!"
show 3 hidden updates…