Cass's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

3891953
Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: 100-must-read-books, 2011, dystopian-utopian, books-i-own-ebook
Read in June, 2011

I am completely drawn in and fascinated by the world the Ishiguro paints. It is one of those dystopian novels that details a world almost believable and yet so completely foreign. While the movie previews give much of the plot away I am hesitant to say much as this is one of those books that really benefits from the slow revelations that the reader gets.

As a dystopian novel this gets five stars. As a good story it probably gets four stars. I think it lacks something at the end despite leaving the reader with some good questions.

*spoiler alert*
That is about as much as I can say without spoiling the effect of the book. Read further at your own peril.

I love the big question that the readers are left with, why do they all so complacently accept their fate? Why don't these people ever attempt to evade their fate. In fate the opposite, the narrator is instead critisized for prolonging her fate for so long.

I do love that the book almost ignores what they are going through, as if the attrocities are a secondary storyline. The book is about relationships and behaviours rather than trying to avoid being harvested for body parts. This adds to the big question, why doesn't anybody care that they are being systematically killed?

Loved the book 4.5 stars
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.