Gary M.'s Reviews > Live and Let Die

Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming

Jun 21, 2010

Read in June, 2010

To charge this book with racism, as many reviews have done so, is absurd. The book and attitudes were of the time and obviously these views are expressed within the pages. The same charges could be aimed at Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Bulldog Drummond and any classic character.Or what about Shakespeare - could we call the bard homophobic for not representing gay characters in his plays? Do we start judging classic works by modern standards? The book uses the word Negro a lot but at the time this was not considered a racial slur. It also uses the word gay in its true meaning - damn Ian Fleming for living during the period and writing what is probably the best series of thrillers in history. Didn't he realise that in the future the PC brigade, those same people who airbrushed the cigar from a famous poster of Winston Churchill, would be judging him by standards of the next century? How small minded of him!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live and Let Die.

03/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Morton Tough words, and maybe that's why there are no comments yet. I wish people would use common sense when reading books from another age. Dr Dolittle's author and Edgar Rice Burroughs, among many others, are singled out by silly people who forget when these books were written. Rarely if ever were the authors being racist but reflecting the times they lived in. Oh, and they told wonderful tales that will outlive their aberrant critics.

Gary M. Agree fully - I'm getting tired of how easily people throw the racist charge about.

Morgan I'm seeing a lot of thoes reviews too. Having read other books from that time period, those people shouldn't read. You can't change the past. I really liked this book.

Linda Totally agree with you