Samantha's Reviews > The Born Queen

The Born Queen by Greg Keyes

F_50x66
Jun 20, 10

Read in June, 2010

With 'The Born Queen,' Greg Keyes provides a suitably epic finish to his engrossing, endearing 'Kingdom of Thorn and Bone' books. Lush with well fleshed characters, mysterious figures and fantastic monsters, this series engrossed me since the start, and the conclusion was satisfying, fulfilling and poignant.

Anne Dare's quest to become empress is coming to a close, but she still must face off against her direst foes: her uncle Robert continues to make trouble, and Hansa continues to threaten military action. Meanwhile, Aspar struggles to survive while contending with the sinister Fend, and Stephen makes unsettling discoveries.

Magic, prophecy and destiny intermingle. The world is on the brink. And these characters, whom we've followed through highs and lows, against the gravest perils, square off against their biggest, most difficult challenges yet. For some of them, their ultimate fates are surprising.

Just really brilliant. The tome succeeds in casting an air of uncertainty over characters who were previously black-and-white. Until nigh the conclusion of the book, its unclear who's REALLY fighting for the preservation of all, which adds a lot of suspense. Keyes presents his usual colorful mix of action and mysticism, which makes for a lively read. Overall, I found it completely satisfying, and I think anyone who enjoyed the rest of the series will be pleased with how it ends.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Born Queen.