Steph's Reviews > Masked by Moonlight

Masked by Moonlight by Nancy Gideon

2142019
Jun 22, 2010

bookshelves: year-read-2010, author-웃, series-ended, series-i-love, series-book1
Read from June 20 to 21, 2010

Mobsters + shifters + tough cop heroine = a great beginning to the Moonlight Trilogy!

Masked by Moonlight starts with a gruesome murder of two men. Charlotte is called in to investigate.

Detective Charlotte "Cee Cee" Caissie is the daughter of a fallen cop. She doesn't apologize for her "in-your-face looks .. short dark hair .. model-sharp angles under café lait skin." She tends to dress more like Xena the Warrior Princess than Suzie Homemaker. But she's "tough, confident and capable. All Cop. All the time." That's not quite true though. She is strong, but also very fragile. She quickly turns to mush when she's around Max and for Max, Charlotte has become an impossible temptation to him.

Their attraction to each other is complicated by the fact that Charlotte is dedicated to putting away criminals and Max works for the city's Mob Boss. Max is an always-frustrating enigma for Charlotte. No one knows anything about him, no birth certificate, no SS#, driver's license, etc.

Max Savoie is "tall, dark and bold", Jimmy Legere's right hand. His silent enforcer. He's "confident without being cocky, powerful without aggression, and exudes complete control over what he allows the world to see."

Jimmy "rescued" Max when he was boy. He raised him to do/act/speak/dress exactly as Jimmy tells him to do. He's his "pet", given anything he wants, but owns nothing. Jimmy's world is all he's ever really known. As he becomes closer to Charlotte, the short leash Jimmy keeps him on becomes looser. For the first time in his life, Max wants something for himself, Charlotte. Max's past and despicable treatment by Jimmy have made him who he is and now he's becoming "more".

Tiny little annoyance: Charlotte is (almost) always referred to ask "Cee Cee" when speaking, but hardly ever when spoken to by anyone. It's always Charlotte or Lottie (??Another nickname??)

I will definitely be reading the whole trilogy. I love mob stories and this tied in shifters in a way that made it a super fun read.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masked by Moonlight.

06/20/2010 page 180
48.0% "mobsters + were + tough cop chick = cool read (THIS is the right book! LOL!)"
show 2 hidden updates…

Steph LOL Vered, did you like my comment re: + + = or me listing the wrong book!?

How bad is that when you don't even choose the correct title for the book you're reading?! :\

message 2: by Vered (last edited Jun 22, 2010 02:29AM) (new) - added it

Vered LOL!! Oh I hear you. I've become really good at Edit too ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Wow, this sounds good!

message 4: by AH (new) - added it

AH And another book gets added to the to-read list.

Steph I liked it, obviously. :) It's kinda like "Goodfellas" with shifters. The next two books should prove to be better, I'm thinking, after how this one ended.

message 6: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered LOL! I loved the "Goodfellas" and I do love them shifters...

Steph Um-hum! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sooo Miss Steph..... I come to you fresh from reading this book....

.... It was great! I really, really liked it. I thought she did a great job with developing Max.

So thanks for the review and the rec, chicky, you rock!

Steph Woohoo! Merry Chrissy to me, Miss Moss liked it! Yay!! :) Thanks for the update.

When I read this one, I thought there were only 3 books, but there are actually 4. Then, she keeps the world going with other characters from the quad. Just bought Hunter of Shadows (Moonlight, #5) by Nancy Gideon and looking forward to checking it out soon. Hope you enjoy them all.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

hehehe...no no, thank you for reviewing it -- I would never have gone near it if I hadn't read your thoughts on it.

I see you've enjoyed the books you've read in the series. Does she keep using the good cop-bad mobster tension throughout, or does she introduce new stuff?

Steph :) I'm happy my review got ya to try the series.

I have been enjoying them. She uses the cop/mobster tension throughout and introduces new stuff. Occasionally I get frustrated w/CeeCee, but I love Max. He learns a lot about himself throughout the series. I don't want to give anything away. :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds great, I can't wait to read the rest :)

Awesome new avatar by the way, looks very Frost Giant-ish.

Steph Cool! Lemme know how ya like 'um.

Thanks :D I'm freezin' my ass off in the US and thought I'd update it with something reflective of the Ice Queen I'm quickly becoming.