Brian's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

M 50x66
Jul 14, 10

** spoiler alert ** I think this is my favorite in the Harry Potter series. It's much more thoughtful and deep than the three preceding books, while not being nearly as dark or depressing as the next three. I'll admit that the next three are more adult in nature than the first four novels, and perhaps I don't enjoy them as much because I liked the tone of these four; I guess I just liked it more when Harry, Ron and Hermione were getting in and out of trouble without ever being in serious danger, whereas the next three novels and the escalation of the Second Wizarding War just seemed too much like Lord of the Rings.

In any case, I remember the first time I read this I was absolutely blown away by the ending...even though I had trained myself at this point to be watchful for the endings of Harry Potter novels, I still didn't see this one coming. There were several scenes (when Harry is stuck in the stair and Snape is feet away) that were masterfully done, and I tore apart this book because I was so anxious to find out what would happen next. In general, a great children's book by Rowling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.