Morgan F's Reviews > Bass Ackwards and Belly Up

Bass Ackwards and Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: own, series, young-adult, 2000s, read-2010, multiple, realistic, medium-sized
Read from July 10 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

This book follows four best friends after they graduate high school. Initially, these girls all planned on going to college, but this changed when one of the girls, Harper, gets rejected from NYU. Instead of admitting to her friends that she got rejected from the only school she applied to, she tells them she is purposefully taking the year off to pursue her dream of writing the next great American novel. This sparks a revolution among her friends, and soon Kate and Sophie don't want to go to college either. Kate, the perfectionist, doesn't have a dream yet, but she plans on finding it as she spendss the year backpacking around Europe. Sophie, ever the dramatic one, goes off to LA to pursue her dreams of being a famous actress. Becca, the only one still going to college, is given a dream of her own to accomplish: she must fall in love. So what if they turn their lives completely upside down? They always have each others backs.

I've heard that people say this is the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" for older readers, and I agree with that statement to a certain extent. The premise is certainly similar, but this book seemed to lack the spark that made the "Sisterhood" books so wildly popular.

I enjoyed this book. It was a good way to spend time. But I still never felt anything for the characters. They were nicely developed, with faults and strengths, but I lacked an emotional connection.

I would have to say this book is forgettable. While reading it, you don't notice anything lacking, but when you finish and reflect, you realize it wasn't that great. It probably deserves less than 4 stars in retrospect. I might read the sequel though, if I'd happen to come across it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bass Ackwards and Belly Up.

07/10/2010 page 68
28.0% "This books reminds me that I have to start narrowing down my colleges. *sighs*"
07/11/2010 page 229
59.0% "Out of all these chicas, I'm probably most like Harper. With some Becca-ish qualities."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Looks like you enjoyed this one. I've never read StTPs, never caught my interest. This sounds like a fun read though. Great review. :)