Morgan F's Reviews > Skybreaker

Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: series, 2000s, young-adult, steampunk, own, adventure, its-a-boy, read-2010, good-sized
Read from June 20 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy

OH man. I devoured this book in a few hours despite its rather large size. I was so absorbed and the pages (get ready for a pun) flew by.

This book continues Matt Cruses saga. When it starts, he is serving as an intern on the airship Flotsam. The Flotsam gets blown off course and as it rises to heights untraveled, it discovers a 40-yr-old mystery: the location of the Hyperion, a ghost ship legend to have riches upon riches on board. Because of some complications, the Flotsam must end it's journey, but that doesn't mean the journey ends for Matt Cruse. With the Hyperion's coordinates and thoughts of riches in mind, Matt Cruse along with the heiress Kate de Vries and a mysterious gypsy named Nadira, set out on a perilous journey.

I think this book maybe even better than Airborn. It was filled with the same swashbuckling action and ripping good adventure, and the romance between a certain cabin boy and young heiress grew even tenser. Now there was even a love-quadrangle of sorts with some other new characters thrown it. I think the character development was considerably better this time around, and we finally got some emotion from Mr. Cruse.

There is just something about these books I adore. They are fun and thrilling, and there is nothing about them that makes me groan in dismay. I think that why these books get five-stars. I'm sure they could be better, but there is nothing about them that I dislike. And the visuals are awesome. I've said it once and I'll say it again: these books would be GREAT movies.

If you know any reluctant male readers, recommend these books to them. They appeal to a wide audience. Easy enough for middle school readers, but older readers will love them too. Both boys and girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skybreaker.

06/20/2010 page 169
30.0% "I'm already hooked."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Done already?
So, would I likey?

Morgan F Dude. I devoured it. I loved it. It's so fun. I wish it was movie, because the visuals are awesome.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Perfect! I'll place the first book on hold and hope they have this one as well. I love a good fantasy. Thanks!

message 4: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Wow you are plowing through your purchases! You lucky girl. Glad you're liking the books you got. :)

Morgan F Yeah, I'm definitely feeling good about them.

Morgan F Oh, I plan on it. If I can't find it in the store next time I go, I'll order it. Just too bad these books aren't at my library.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Okay Morgan, I'm giving these books a try. Thanks!

message 8: by Fae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fae Oh my god, I could not agree more. LOVED this book! And it would make a great movie.