Morgan F's Reviews > Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, music, 2000s, own, haha, its-a-girl, read-2010, debut, realistic, medium-sized, dating, fame
Read from June 21 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy

I need to clarify. This book is more of 4.5.

You know, I really wasn't expecting this novel to be as unique as it was. It could have easily been annoying and cliched, but instead it was fresh and humorous. And when I say humorous, I mean it. This book was laugh-out-loud funny. So I advise you not to read this book in public. We don't want the person sitting next to you on that 5 hour flight to think you are on some new medication.

Audrey was such a refreshing voice. She was witty, vibrant, and confident. I loved her sarcasm and tone. Most authors try to impose personality traits on their two-dimensional characters, but Audrey lived it up. Instead of the author telling me Audrey liked music, she made me believe. This girl goes to concerts, blows out speakers, jams out to mix tapes, and discusses her fave bands. I also like how Audrey isn't obsessive about her appearance or too self-depreciating. Anything we know about her we find out from other characters in passing.

All the rest of the cast was equally enjoyable. I would want to sit at their table at lunch. Audrey and Victoria(like the Queen) had a very believable friendship, filled with inside jokes and shared interests. I even had a thing for Jonah, who was the perfect best friend's boyfriend. James was adorable (but not in a little brother kind of way) and I wish there were more redheaded love interests out there in bookdom. Even the parents were awesome in their obliviousness and almost-hipitude.

The writing was very, very enjoyable. While some of it seemed over-the-top, it never seemed like Benway was trying too hard. The humor was just effortless. My favorite line would have to be this: "'I'm having a life crisis. Pass me the Teddy Grahams.' He handed over the box. 'All that's left are little paws and legs at the bottom of the box,' he said. 'It's a massacre.'" The writing just rang true for me. And yes, that means there is cussing and sexual/drug references, so if you have a problem with that, then don't read this one.

Overall, a great debut from an author I'm expecting will be a star in the land of YA literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audrey, Wait!.

06/21/2010 page 140
44.0% "I wish I could have a mini-Victoria to carry around in my pocket."

Arlene Great review! This book was definitely a fun read. Agreed!

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim Girl meets boy. Girl dates boy. Girl breaks up with boy. Boy writes song about girl. Girl becomes famous.

Shouldn't the boy become famous? =)

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic I love books that make you laugh. Adding this to my TBR list. Great review :)

message 4: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ That's what I was thinking Kim ^^

I need to pick this up at my Lib. Awesome review Morg!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm guessing this is a girl like Angie or Jolene.

Morgan F They boy becomes famous with the song, and the girl becomes famous as a consequence.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Thanks for the awesome review. Nothing spilled but tons of info =) I am looking forward to reading the book.

Ellie Loved this book. Very funny, and much better than I thought it would be!

Zuli I feel exactly the same way as you do. WoW... I too enjoyed this novel and you're completely right about not reading it in public, you see that kind of happened to me. ha!