Adrienne's Reviews > Admission

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Jun 20, 10

Read in June, 2010

Jean Hanff Korelitz is quickly becoming my favorite author, and this is the second of her books that I have devoured at a break-neck pace. It hasn't been long since I applied to a selective (albeit second tier) institution and anxiously awaited word from the committee. Even less time has passed since my experience of coup de foudre and the resulting fallout. Needless to say, there is much for me to relate to in this novel.This book gave me much to think about: the duel definitions of "admission," what influences us to accept or reject opportunities, and at what point we become content with the way our lives are, to name a few. All of those points aside, the grace and humanity of the language used by Korelitz is astounding and relentlously compells the reader to turn to the next and the next chapter. I also have to appreciate what a fine tuned piece of work this is; every little detail along the way tying together at end, the expertise with which the chapters were titled, and the way that the voices of each of the applicants speaks directly to the reader (rather than Portia) demonstrates the literary brilliance of the writer's style. I am sure to read anything she publishes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admission.