Smash's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: ya-fantasy, favorites, read-2011, book-reviews, read-own-hardcopy
Read from May 24 to 31, 2011

Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/...

"Not all people who inspired devotion were monsters."

Fire is not a continuation of Graceling, but more of a companion novel. You can call it a prequel, because it does take place in time before Katsa’s story. You will only run into one familiar character from Graceling however, and it will make you gasp. Seriously. The prologue made me gasp! I was not prepared for that sneaky little bit of storytelling. Fire takes place in the world of Graceling, but far removed in an area that was never mentioned in Graceling (that I remember). This area of the map, The Dells, is a land of monsters. And by monsters, I mean inhumanly beautiful equivalents to all other creatures (from humans to bugs to kittens to flying beasties) with a dangerous ability to control humans. And for that, they are hated and feared.

This hatred grew out of the misuse and abuse of power by one legendary monster, Cansrel, who just so happens to be Fire’s father. Fire fits the mold of a monster. She is breathtakingly beautiful, with hair the color of? You guessed it. Fire! Thankfully for others, Fire has morals and is not proud of her ability to manipulate thoughts and emotions, yet she has withdrawn away from most of the world, keeping only a few select people as company. It is probably for the better. You see, due to her nature and extraordinary features, people either despise or lust after Fire upon sight.

A story unfolds as Fire’s presence is requested to help King Nash uncover the motives of two other kings who seem to be slowly devising a plan to overthrow his kingdom. King Nash and his brother, Brigan, commander of their army, are not fond of bringing Fire to their city. They do not trust her because it was her father who manipulated their father and turned him into a wretched man. Brigan especially despises her upon first contact, while Nash is quite taken by her.

Of course there is a major plot to the story, but it’s a bit complex to explain. Just know that Fire and Brigan have to travel and work together, and throughout the book, they begin to understand, appreciate and value the other. Their budding romance is natural and wonderful as it slowly evolves into something beautiful and coveted. Their relationship brought tears to my eyes due to the sheer pureness of it. Their entire relationship is subtle but the emotion is BANG, in your face. It got me good.

The author’s writing is magnificent and she excels at characterization. Her characters literally jump off the pages! I also enjoyed the author’s use of flashbacks. Fire experiences flashbacks of times spent with her father, and they are so interesting and revealing, and really help you to connect more to her. The personal insight, which is very important with Fire’s character, is what sucked me in. Knowing her intimate thoughts was quite fascinating to me. Fire is an incredible protagonist. She never once let her power corrupt her, she always held her composure and her compassion for animals and humans alike was powerful and determined.

I dare say I enjoyed this book a bit more than Graceling, only by a small measure though. Fire is quite a compelling tale of a young woman who faces loss, adversity, persecution and prejudice head on, and pulls through a winner, all the while remaining true to herself. This book and its profound protagonist are on my list of awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

Quotes Smash Liked

Kristin Cashore
“There will be no yelling at people who are bleeding themselves to unconsciousness.”

Kristin Cashore
“I'd thought once, actually, of taking your mind, if you asked. I'd thought I could help you fall asleep at night."
He opened his mouth to say something. Shut it again. His face closed for a moment, his unreadable mask falling into place. He spoke softly. "But that wouldn't be fair; for after I slept you'd be left awake, with no one to help you sleep.”

Kristin Cashore
“Brigan was saying her name, and he was sending her a feeling. It was courage and strength, and something else too, as if he were standing with her, as if he'd taken her within himself, letting her rest her entire body for a moment on his backbone, her mind in his mind, her heart in the fire of his.
The fire of Brigan's heart was astounding. Fire understood, and almost could not believe, that the feeling he was sending her was love.”

Kristin Cashore
“Then come here," he said, a bit redundantly, as he had already pulled her with him into an armchair and curled her up in his arms. "Tell me what I can do to help you feel better."
Fire looked into his quiet eyes, touched his dear, familiar face, and considered the question. Well. I always like when you kiss me.
"Do you?"
You're good at it.
"Well," he said. "That's lucky, because I'll always be kissing you.”
tags: kiss

Kristin Cashore
“You're the queen, and it's the queen's house, and whatever Brigan may accomplish, he's highly unlikely ever to be queen.”

05/25/2011 page 35
8.0% "The prologue of this book made me gasp!"
05/30/2011 page 275
60.0% "This book is so focking fantastic. Kristin Cashore needs to write more books! GimmeGimmeGimme! :)"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie This is a beautifully written book! I didn't enjoy it as much as Graceling, but it was still lovely.

message 2: by Smash (new) - added it

Smash Yea, I'm not getting as sucked in as I did with Graceling, but I have to admit that Fire is a pretty damn amazing character!

Julie Agree.